Friday, April 13, 2012

Assignment #3


In Robert Frost’s “The Figure a Poem Makes” he says, “if it is a wild tune it is a Poem”. (I also noticed this was a discussion question we did not get to go over) What I took from Frost calling poems “wild tunes” was that sometimes poems don’t always make sense or they use a lot of metaphors to try to make it all sound more beautiful or they talk about random things going on around them that you sometimes wonder, “why in the world are they talking about this?”. Which I think can cause confusion or make the poem seem kind of “wild”.  I had never thought about poems being wild. I usually never understand the deeper meanings in some poems so I thought they were crazy, but I never thought that actual poets agree that their poems are wild and they say crazy things that don’t always make sense. In T.S. Eliot’s poem “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” he talks about a yellow frog that’s rubbing it’s back on a window pane, he skips around and talks about how he’s balding. I realize some of the descriptions are to set the mood, but I think they go along with being a wild tune.






My Nights with Archie

Option A
I remember when bedtime was one
Of my favorite times. Every night
It was off to Riverdale for me, I was not alone.
Archie Comics was my secret delight.

Oh the things Archie did just to get a date.
That Veronica was such a snob.
Reggie always went after Archie’s mate.
Poor Jughead, he was certainly no heartthrob.
Then there was Betty, how could he never
Choose her? She was obviously the best.
Team Archie and Betty forever.

3 comments:

  1. This poem was silly and cute! I loved reading comics when I was younger, so I can definitely relate to this. I liked the rhymes in this poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same as you and Rachel, I loved reading comics. I thought this poem was creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    This is working, but I wish it could be even longer, with more specifics about your experience reading comics.

    I remember having to sneak comicbooks because my parents wanted me to go to sleep. Anything like that?

    What about what the stories taught you? Obviously there's some romantic message there. Push yourself to turn a clever idea and cute execution into something that further delights and veers toward wisdom.

    That will make dead-Robert-Frost smile!

    ReplyDelete