Friday, April 6, 2012

Blog #2

  I chose to compare Isaac Rosenberg’s poem “Break of Day in the Trenches” to W.B. Yeats’s “Easter, 1916” because it was also written in 1916. With the obvious difference of the sides of the war they were on, and that Yeats was writing about Ireland’s rebellion against the British and Rosenberg was fighting the Germans. In  Rosenberg’s “Break of Day in the Trenches” was written while he was actually in a trench during war and his poem focuses solely on himself as the main soldier, only mentioning a few others. Rosenberg also writes only about the war and what is happening as he’s writing it, but in Yeat’s poem he speaks of the war but also of a general who married the love of his life and how he despised him. In “Easter, 1916”, Yeat’s repeats the line “A terrible beauty is born” three times. I understand how something can be beautiful yet terrible at the same time during war. War is a terrible thing, thousands of lives are always lost, which is the terrible part of it but when it’s all over your country is a better place, which is the beautiful part of it. The Iraq and Afghanistan war has been a terrible thing, but look at what a has been accomplished, our country helped them no longer be under control by a horrible dictator like Saddam and we prevented further terrorist attacks on our country by finding Osama Bin Laden.
                                       
An Afghan Christmas Day


                                        When I was one-and-twenty(downbeat)

When I was one-and-twenty,
My heart was broken for the first time.
I failed to listen to Housman’s wise words,
“Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away”
How dumb of me to think you as
The exception. The memories we had
I will never forget, but you, you’re
What I want to forget.

When I was one-and-twenty (upbeat)
When I was one-and-twenty
I gained some new homes for sure,
Jbar, C-side, Crystal, Redbrick.
They’re so much fun, I never bore.
Absolute, Kettle One, Three Olive,
You all will be the death of me.

When I was one-and-twenty,
I may have spent too much time at the bars.
I hope my grades aren’t too low,
My parents will kill me before I write my memoir.
A new email, they’re here. Oh no.

When I was one-and-twenty (mixture)
When I was one-and-twenty
I was broken hearted,
But I refused to stay down.
As I had also just gained access
And was finally legal.
I didn’t need you anymore,
I had my new bar friends.
So what if they knew not my name,
So what if we only talk intoxicated.
They’ll never hurt me the way you did
When I was one-and-twenty.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the upbeat poem. I found the lines about the bars, different vodkas, and the email about your grades comical. I liked how in the downbeat poem, you quoted Houseman. That was clever.

      Delete
  2. I just realized I spelled Ketel One wrong..I feel dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting the way your poems had a casual theme but you used more lofty language. This is apparent to me in the line, "So what if they knew not my name".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,

    I had the wrong address for your blog, so I didn't see this post until this morning.

    Anyway, I think these show promise. You're funny (nice line about parental email)! And can hit a note of sadness too. The final poem is getting complex--that is, you seemt o realize that the thing that's standing in for what's been lost isn't quite doing the trick, but you're also persevering. I like it.

    Let's talk about revising these if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I really liked these poems. The one about the bars being your home made me laugh and the first one was great, especially the fact that you were quoting Housman!

    ReplyDelete